To get a head’s up on the basics, I would highly recommend you to read basics of ayurveda first. Now let’s focus on understanding more on Kapha dosha and how to balance it. Kapha constitutes primarily of Water and Earth. Governs bodily functions concerned with physical structure, and fluid balance. If you are experiencing oily skin, sinus congestion, obesity, slow digestion, nasal allergies, lethargy or dullness, here are few basic ayurvedic suggestions to balance Kapha Dosha than you can incorporate in your life.
Actions to take
- Foods that are pungent, bitter or astringent.
- Warm food or hot spices—like chili, black or cayenne pepper, ginger, cinnamon and cumin.
- Whole, freshly cooked warm foods.
- Most beans and lots of veggies.
- A minimal amount of high-quality corn, canola, sesame, sunflower or ghee in your daily diet.
- Do mindful eating on time without distractions
- At least an hour of exercise is highly recommended.
What to avoid
- Cooling foods, heavy and oily foods.
- Highly processed foods
- Cold or carbonated drinks.
- Eating fresh fruit or drinking fruit juice within ½ hour of any other food.
- Sugars, alcohol, nicotine or caffeine.
However, we can also have combination doshas as well like the Pitta-Vatta, Kapha, Pitta or Vata-Kapha type individuals. Such people should take combined approach and adopt diet suitable to both body types. Having Tridosha or all 3 doshas in balance are quite rare and are the ones who lead harmonious life, healthy and emotionally stable. Hope you found these basic ayurvedic suggestions to balance Kapha dosha easy to follow. If you did like to know more, please check out my referenced sites below:
The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.