If you are new here, I would highly recommend you to check out basics of ayurveda first. Let us now understand why we need to improve gut health? We are what we eat. How well our body digest the food and assimilates nutrients reflects on our well being. Not just physical fitness but emotional and mental well being. Recent studies have shown that gut has a direct connection to the brain through a neural circuit that allows it to transmit signals in mere seconds. To improve your gut health we need to ensure a healthy gut microbiome. As per the Ayurvedic principle if there is an imbalance in doshas we are more susceptible to disease. By following a good Ayurvedic diet we can naturally achieve healthy gut. Here are 18 best Ayurveda tips for improving gut health.
Action to take
- Start your day with honey, lemon in warm water, it helps in detoxification.
- Take Triphala powder to balance the 3 doshas to improve digestion.
- Take Indian lassi or buttermilk, act’s as probiotics. It supplies naturally available healthy gut bacteria to aid in digestion. You can top it up with spices ginger, cumin, coriander. It prevents bloating and gas after meals.
- Incorporate coconut oil and Ghee to your diet. Ghee contains Butyrate, a short-chain fatty acid that helps maintain the integrity of your intestinal wall. A compromised intestinal wall can lead to leaky gut syndrome, that goes beyond digestive disorders. Ghee also helps lubricate your digestive system to run smoothly.
- The key to eating a balanced diet in Ayurveda is to incorporate all six tastes: sweet, salty, sour, pungent, bitter, and astringent.
- Don’t combine foods that diminish your digestive fire, like watermelon with protein or banana and milk or beans and cheese.
- Sip hot water throughout the day, it will stimulate proper digestion, boost metabolism and clears toxins.
- Avoid cold beverages during meals. It will dilute the digestive juices.
- Eat only when you are hungry.
- Consume ginger tea for better digestion.
- Use 7 spices for proper digestion – Turmeric, Asafetida, Cumin, coriander, fennel, cardamom and ginger.
- Eat on mindfully at regular times with no distraction.
- Chew properly, saliva helps in digesting the food efficiently.
- Do a self abdominal massage and acupressure points help relieve constipation.
- Go out for walks at least for 20 min. Practicing yoga and pranayama every day will help in better metabolism.
- Prepare a detox tea with cumin, fennel, and coriander seeds. It helps stimulate the lymphatic system and flushes toxins.
- Sleep early and on time, it helps to ensure the digestive system and nervous system are both charged for the next day. Make sure you sleep on the left side for the food waste to move from the small intestine to your large and finally to the colon to be eliminated.
- If you have trouble sleeping, try to do yoga nidra before you sleep.
Foods to avoid
- Highly processed or fried foods.
- Eating fresh fruit or drinking fruit juice within ½ hour of any other food.
- Red meat
- Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine.
In conclusion, I hope you found these Ayurvedic suggestions simple and easy to follow to improve gut health.
The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.